ASKME.Bar is an online community where anyone can get their desire solution for any technical problems by certified professionals. If anyone can join our expert panel then sign up our online community at forums.askme.bar

Author Topic: How to Make Pen Drive Bootable?  (Read 789 times)

Amelia

• View Profile
How to Make Pen Drive Bootable?
« on: August 03, 2015, 09:41:31 AM »
Hi guys!

I am using Asus X553MA-XX513D Notebook and I want to install Windows 8 on my system but the Notebook can’t accept any CD/DVD because it has no DVD writer.
Therefore, the critical problem is there is only way to install new OS, that’s pen drive. But I have no idea how to make a pen drive bootable. I have tried some remedies in order to resolve this issue like:

poweriso.com
 instructables.com
 bootableusb.net
 computerhope.com

I have used lots of sites and solutions to fix this issue but all in vain because I have no idea to follow steps provided by all these sites. Does anyone have a solution?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 03:08:31 AM by Admin »

Technical Questions & Answers

How to Make Pen Drive Bootable?
« on: August 03, 2015, 09:41:31 AM »

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Technical Questions & Answers at AskMe.Bar
Re: How to Make Pen Drive Bootable?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 10:37:18 AM »
Hi Amelia,

1. Open an elevated Windows command line window by clicking Start, typing in cmd in the search text field, then pressing CTRL + Shift + Enter on your keyboard (at the same time). You can also access this by navigating to Start, All Programs, Accessories, right-click with your mouse on the Command Prompt menu item and select Run as Administrator.

2. At the command prompt, type cd c:\windows\system32 to change the directory to the Windows system32 directory. Ensure your USB drive is plugged in, type DISKPART, then press Enter. Type LIST DISK and press Enter.

3. You will see a listing of the disk drives connected to your computer. Find the disk number of your USB drive and type SELECT DISK [USB disk #], where "[USB disk #]" is the disk # for your USB drive. It should now state that your USB drive is the selected disk. If you're not sure what disk is the USB disk, eject the USB drive, perform step number 2 again, connect the USB drive again, and compare the results. Usually the USB drive will be the last drive.

4. Type in the following commands, one by one, pressing Enter after each command.

CLEAN

CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY

SELECT PARTITION 1

ACTIVE

FORMAT FS=NTFS
(may take a couple minutes, depending on the USB drive size)

ASSIGN

EXIT

Keep the command prompt window open, but you can minimize it for a little bit.

5. You will now need your Windows Vista or 7 Installation DVD. Put the DVD in your computer's DVD drive. Open up My Computer and note which drive letter is assigned to your DVD Drive and your USB flash drive.

6. Go back to the command prompt window and type in D: CD BOOT (substitute your DVD drive letter for "D:", if necessary) and press Enter. Type CD BOOT again and press Enter. Lastly, type BOOTSECT.EXE /NT60 H: (substitute your USB flash drive letter for "H:", if necessary) and press Enter.

7. The last step is to copy the entire contents of the Windows DVD to your USB flash drive. To do this, in the My Computer window (opened in step 5 above), right-click on the DVD drive and select Open to view the contents of the DVD. Copy all the files and folders on the DVD to the USB flash drive.

Your USB flash drive is now set up to be a bootable USB drive for Windows Vista or 7.

Technical Questions & Answers

Re: How to Make Pen Drive Bootable?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 10:37:18 AM »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 
Legal Disclaimer: All registered trademarks belong to their respective owners. The use or mention of any trade name, product name, or trademark in this website is in no way intended to suggest that the trademark owner is at all affiliated with or endorses this site.

Terms & Condition | Privacy Policy